Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Pam Reviews: Dragon Bound

It's a family affair on the blog of late! I always share books I love with my mom and mother-in-law, but my mom especially is a romance lover like me, so I always send my smutty favorites her way. She fell madly in love with one of my very favorite series, and is here today to share her thoughts on book one, Dragon Bound! *high five Mom*

DRAGON BOUND
Elder Races #1
Thea Harrison
Paranormal Romance
312 pages
Berkley Sensation
Available Now
Source: Bought!

THE STORY (from Goodreads)
Half-human and half-Wyr, Pia Giovanni spent her life keeping a low profile among the Wyrkind and avoiding the continuing conflict between them and their Dark Fae enemies. But after being blackmailed into stealing a coin from the hoard of a dragon, Pia finds herself targeted by one of the most powerful—and passionate—of the Elder Races.

As the most feared and respected of the Wyrkind, Dragos Cuelebre cannot believe someone had the audacity to steal from him, much less succeed. And when he catches the thief, Dragos spares her life, claiming her as his own to further explore the desire they've ignited in each other.

Pia knows she must repay Dragos for her trespass, but refuses to become his slave—although she cannot deny wanting him, body and soul.


PAM'S THOUGHTS
As most are aware, Dragon Bound is the first book of the Elder Races series written by the talented author, Thea Harrison. I know, I know it was written years ago, but it remains my all-time favorite go-to book when I reach for a reread that I truly loved. It let’s me escape for awhile to enjoy an amazing world with unforgettable characters that evoke a myriad of wonderful feelings. So when asked to write a review of a personal favorite in the paranormal genre, this was instantly chosen. 

The extreme popularity of Dragon Bound bespeaks of Harrison’s exceptional “gift of the written word” and is readily apparent in every component of the book: humorous and witty dialogue, non-stop action that is riveting at times, a plot with twists and turns that keeps the reader turning the pages, and world building that is creative, unique and uncomplicated. But she excels at character development and relationship building, and that sooo does it for me in any book.

Pia and Dragos. Did I mention unforgettable characters? They’re, simply put, magical, literally and figuratively. Dragos is the arrogant, controlling, incredibly powerful, strong-willed hero who demands total obedience and loyalty from all in his Wyr realm. And then there’s Pia, a no mess heroine, who is equally strong-willed, but with a soft, warm heart that melts the Great Beast with understanding, patience and eventually love. This constant push and pull in their relationship and the growth and change in both characters is fascinating and keeps me emotionally engaged. And culminates into a romance that’s as intense as it is entertaining.

The secondary characters are equally addictive. Who can forget the dynamic and petite faerie, Tricks, the skeptical Rune and the tender-hearted Graydon to name but a few. Their development was well constructed throughout, never overshadowing the main characters or detracting from the story. Not surprisingly, these characters now sport their own books.

And yep, with the l-o-n-g Michigan winters I experience, be assured I’ll grab this off my shelf to reread again. I repeat, I truly loved this book – it’s a fun and very good read.

Rating: 5/5 (of course!)


Find Thea:

18 comments:

  1. Okay I love that not only are you sharing the book love Jenny but the review love too! And yay Pam for this review, great job! This sounds like a fun series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, we do have the love of books in common and it's awesome. Jenny can whip up an endless supply of "must reads" for me and I just love that! And I honestly feel you would truly enjoy this book and hope you can get to it soon. Thank you for your comment! Pam

      Delete
  2. Lol, I love that you and your mom can share books like these, Jenny. I still haven't read this series, but I'm well aware of your love for Pia and Dragos :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're loving those "smutty favorites"! Me and my Jen have a blast comparing our thoughts - lots of laughs and making life much more fun! Thanks for commenting! Pam

      Delete
  3. *waves at Pam* Hiiii! Are you doing BEA this year again with Jenny, Pam? If so, I hope to see you again!

    Clearly I need to check this one because I still haven't read it... *hides*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pill, you're so cute and a fond Hi! to you too! And that'd be a YES for BEA in a few weeks. Hoping Chicago will survive our crazy group while we're there and can't wait to see your happy face again. Work with me on this Pill, and please read this book - it's really good. Thanks for the comment my friend!
      Pam

      Delete
  4. I have the 2 first books to read, I need to do that

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please, please read them Melliane! If you're needing a light read that's imaginative, humorous, and simply enjoyable, they would be perfect for you. Have at them and thanks for your thoughts. Pam

      Delete
  5. I think I read this? Or was planning to read this? Either way, I'm thrilled that you enjoyed this one! I know I've seen it around before and definitely want to pick it up and give it a read (or re-read...if I have read this it's been too long for me to remember any details!). Wonderful review, Pam!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the lovely compliment-that was very sweet of you. I highly recommend this book as it fills my need to just get away from the crazy busy stuff in life and just have some fun in an imaginary world with enjoyable characters. Huh. I might have just written a lengthy definition of the word escapism here. Oh well. I hope you get a chance to read (or re-read this),and find it as pleasurable as I did. Pam

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is one I really want to read! I love anything with dragons and fairies. So much so that I'm actually taking classes about them. Well fairies mostly, but they cover dragons as well. I will need to fit this in soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Candace, a woman after my my own heart! What's not to love about dragons and fairies, right? And YAY YOU for taking classes - that's awesome and I envy you. With studying, I hope you'll be able to squeeze this in and wish we could chat when you've finished it. I think we'd have a fascinating discussion! Thanks for your comment! Pam

      Delete
  8. Hi Pam! I love this book as well and just fell in love with Thea's writing of Dragons. I miss this series as I'm way behind.

    Thanks for sharing with us your favorite go-to book :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been on such a PNR/Urban Fantasy kick lately Pam, and this sounds amazing. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have this book somewhere - buried amongst the rubble of unread piles. Now I feel like a schmuck for not reading it sooner since it was as unforgettable to you. I'm missing out.

    ReplyDelete