I'm hugely excited today to be a part of the promotional tour for C.J. Redwine's young adult novel Defiance which released last week from Balzer + Bray. I thoroughly enjoyed this book (you can read my review here), especially the dual point of views of both Rachel and Logan, and highly recommend it to any and all fans of paranormal young adult fiction. I have the pleasure of wrapping up this tour by sharing with you the Defiance playlist, an amazing selection of music that will hopefully give you a little extra insight to the story itself as well as C.J.'s mindset as she was writing. Enjoy everyone!
1. A Star Crossed Wasteland by In This Moment (This just sums up Rachel by the 3/4 mark in the story): http://www.youtube.com/watch?
2. Say (All I Need) by One Republic (Logan's words/feelings toward Rachel.) http://www.youtube.com/watch?
3. Set Fire to the Third Bar by Snow Patrol ft Martha Wainwright (How Rachel and Logan feel when they're so many miles apart.) http://www.youtube.com/watch?
4. Lullaby by One Republic (I wrote Rachel and Logan's first kiss to this song. It's not really a romantic song, but the mood is one of coming home and being at peace, and that's what they do for each other.) http://www.youtube.com/watch?
5. Requiem for a Tower by Escala (Loved the mood for the story.) http://www.youtube.com/watch?
6. Unstoppable by E.S. Posthumous (I wrote the climax of Defiance while listening to this song on a continuous loop) http://www.youtube.com/watch?
7. The Red by Chevelle (It really gets to the heart of the anger Rachel feel as her world crumbles.) http://www.youtube.com/watch?
8. Faceless by Red (Absolutely Rachel after her world falls apart.) http://www.youtube.com/watch?
9. Through the Glass by Stone Sour (This just captured the mood in several parts of the story.) http://www.youtube.com/watch?
10. The entire Angels and Demons soundtrack by Hans Zimmer (The mood! The emotion! Hans Zimmer is a genius. Here's one song from the soundtrack.) http://www.youtube.com/watch?
Thanks so much for sharing your playlist C.J.! Since this is the last stop on the tour, be sure to go back and visit the other stops as they feature a wide variety of fun interviews and reviews. All the participating blogs can be found at Mundie Moms.
DEFIANCE (from HarperTeen)
Within the walls of Baalboden, beneath the shadow of the city's brutal leader, Rachel Adams has a secret. While other girls sew dresses and obey their male Protectors, Rachel knows how to survive in the wilderness and deftly wield a sword. When her father, Jared, fails to return from a courier mission and is declared dead, the Commander assigns Rachel a new Protector, her father's apprentice, Logan—the same boy Rachel declared her love for two years ago, and the same one who handed her heart right back to her. Left with nothing but a fierce belief in her father's survival, Rachel decides to escape and find him herself. But treason against the Commander carries a heavy price, and what awaits her in the Wasteland could destroy her.
At nineteen, Logan McEntire is many things. Orphan. Outcast. Inventor. As apprentice to the city's top courier, Logan is focused on learning his trade so he can escape the tyranny of Baalboden. But his plan never included being responsible for his mentor's impulsive daughter. Logan is determined to protect her, but when his escape plan goes wrong and Rachel pays the price, he realizes he has more at stake than disappointing Jared.
As Rachel and Logan battle their way through the Wasteland, stalked by a monster that can't be killed and an army of assassins out for blood, they discover romance, heartbreak, and a truth that will incite a war decades in the making.
Defiance is now available:
Barnes & Noble